Sworn translation

sworn translation - sworn translator

A sworn translation is a translation of a document that must be carried out by an officially recognized sworn translator. We are accredited sworn translators for 25 years now. Our oath was renewed in December 2019, as required by law. We are sworn for the languages Dutch - French - English - Spanish - Russian. We rely on carefully selected partners for language combinations beyond our competences: German, Italian, Portuguese, Chinese, Japanese, Hungarian, ... Is your language not included?


Since 1 March 2021, the regulations regarding the procedure to be followed for delivering sworn translations have changed. A sworn translation is a translation (usually of a document for official use) made by a sworn translator who is listed in the National Registry of Sworn Translators and Interpreters. Each sworn translator is identifiable by a unique registration number (VTI number) and has an official stamp issued by the Justice department giving him the authority to legalize the sworn translation he has made.

At VBVG you may rest assured that we fully comply with this.

Sworn translation for use in Belgium:

  • You provide us with a scan of the document you wish to have translated or you come to our office with the document. We will carefully calculate the cost price and always ask you to agree to the price in advance.
  • We make the translation and certify it with our signature and stamp. Now it is a sworn translation, identical to the original.
  • Since the new procedure of 1 March 2021, any sworn translation issued with the stamp of the sworn translator is considered a legalized translation.
  • The translation is now ready for official use (e.g. for a marriage, a divorce registration, an application for Belgian nationality).

Sworn translation for use abroad:

  • The same steps apply as for a sworn translation for use in Belgium.
  • Our signature as a sworn translator must then be legalized by the Justice Department and subsequently apostilled or legalized by the Foreign Affairs Department.

What is the difference between an apostille or legalization?

  • If your translation is to be filed in a country that is party to the Hague Convention (the Apostille Convention), your translation will receive an apostille. This is a digital apostille that is issued by the FPS Foreign Affairs.
  • If the country of destination has not signed the convention, the translation will be legalized with a physical sticker. After this the translation will still need to be legalized by the consulate of the country receiving the translation.

Do you want to know whether your sworn translation will require an apostille?

You can check this here

Afraid you won't see the wood for the trees? We can carry out all these steps for our customers and will be happy to provide you with a suitable quote.

{{ popup_title }}

{{ popup_close_text }}